Thursday, May 19, 2005

"I haven't been this happy since you agreed to be my wife" said Plankton

To quote Plankton from Spongebob Squarepants, while realizing that it is an obscure reference for many, seemed appropriate when I saw this picture of my darling bride and our now bespectacled daughter:



Of course, Plankton's computer wife, Karen, responded with, "I never agreed to that".

Luckily for me, my wife did!

As you can see, Deb is festooned in her formal military uniform, the mess dress (I'm not making this up). The mess dress equivocates, I'm sorry, it equivalates, wait... it equates to a tuxedo, or gown, or black-tie formal wear.

Being the crusty Master Sergeant that I am, I have owned but one of these uniforms, and it never fit quite right, because it was second-hand, and these uniforms must be tailored to fit the individual. They cost around three or four hundred dollars about the time you get all of the rank, decorations and accoutrements set up, along with all of the tailoring. Fortunately for me, this uniform is not a mandatory portion of my clothing bag, but unfortunately for Deb, it is hers. She is an officer, and officers have to own this thing. Officers also don't get a clothing allowance, like us impoversished enlisted folks. Still, I'm not complaining, I'll take the extra two or three hundred bucks they give me a year and buy a couple of blue shirts and spend the rest on some good running shoes!

Deb's mess dress looks really nice on her, and I'm very proud of her. The occasion tonight (MSO, or Mandatory Social Obligation) was the Non-commissioned Officer's Academy graduation ceremony, where one of Deb's troops was graduating. In true leader fashion, Debbie was there to support her troop, not bilking the responsibilty to attend something that may seem not-that-important to some people. The way I felt about it when I attended this training, after six weeks of "re-bluing", was that my supervisor better show up. My supervisor did, as well as my First Sergeant and my Commander. That really makes a difference. Some might suggest it does not, but I assure you, it does.

Debbie is learning alot about leading in her new job, and she's a natural.

And check out those glasses on that kid! What's up with that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home